How do I apply for the ILUNRM course?
Do I need a preliminary approval (forhåndsgodkendelse) and who should I send it to?
- If you are NOT enrolled at Faculty of Science, you need a preliminary approval to document that you can transfer the credits from the ILUNRM course to your study program.
- You must get the preliminary approval from the study council at your own institution.
- Study and Students affairs at The Faculty of Science (Science Student Services) must have your preliminary approval before the first Friday of the first week of the course.
When do I get further information about the field trip after I have enrolled?
- An information meeting will be held in October/November - The time and location will be announced by email and at the sluse website
- You can also read earlier field reports at www.sluse.dk > ILUNRM > Field reports
How much time do I have to spend on the course during February?
- When the teaching starts you will be following the course full time until the beginning of March where you will go on a field trip for about 3 weeks.
- In the beginning of the course you will be placed in a group with other students that you will cooperate with through the entire course.
- It is important that you show up on the first day of the course as a lot of vital information about the course and the field sites will be presented on this day and as the formation of groups will take place.
How do I get access to the wireless network at the Frederiksberg Campus?
- You must contact the IT Support. Please note that the wireless network is a self-service system and that help with configuration of your laptop is not something that the IT Student Support is required to do. You can call this number, 35323232. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Is it a good idea to take a week off in February to go skiing?
- Absolutely not! The teaching during February is very intensive and you will have to spend a lot of time doing group work in order to prepare your field study.
Where can I find the lecture plan for the course?
- For information on the lecture plan you are always welcome to see lecture plans from earlier courses on www.sluse.dk>ILUNRM>Lecture plan.
- The lecture plans wil normally will be available in the beginning of January. The lecture plan will be send to you by email if you have registered for the course and will also be available at ABSALON
What is ABSALON?
- ABSALON is the virtual learning environment of University of Copenhagen. In ABSALON you can find course curriculums, lecture plans and other materials related to the course.
- During the ILUNRM course, ABSALON will be used as the platform for communication between the teachers and the students. Therefore you must log in to ABSALON on a regular basis to keep yourself updated about the course.
- You enter ABSALON through www.punkt.ku.dk (use the login shortcut in the right hand menu).
What do I have to pay?
- Your plane ticket
- Travel insurance
- Vaccinations and medication if necessary
- Local food
- We will cover transportation from a pick up place close to an airport to the study site, transportation at the study site, local accommodation, field equipment, interpreters and cooks.
What am I responsible for?
- Applying for Visa
- You are responsible for checking if you need a visa for your destination AND if you need a transit visa for your stop overs. We will issue SLUSE letters of documentation if necessary.
- Purchasing your plane ticket
- We will inform you where you have to be when and you are responsible for getting there in time. It is imperative that you are present at the pick up place at the indicated time.
- Be sure to get your Visa before purchasing your plane ticket.
- Getting the necessary vaccinations and medication
- We do not give advice on necessary vaccinations and medication Please contact your doctor or other experts.
- African students will most likely need a yellow fever vaccination.
Is it a good idea to bring my own laptop for the fieldwork?
- It is a good idea if each group has at least one laptop, but be sure to have a proper insurance in case it turns out not to be fieldwork proof.
Is it possible to have a vacation before the fieldwork begins?
- If there is a time gap between the last day of teaching and the beginning of the fieldwork it is OK to take a vacation. However, it is imperative that you are present at the pick up place at the indicated time.
Do I have to return to Denmark when the fieldwork ends?
- We strongly recommend that you return to Denmark as fast as possible. The deadline for report submission is about two weeks later and according to our experience you will be very busy writing up the report.
What are my options for getting financial support for the field trip?
- If you study Environment and development (ED) you are probably entitled to a travel stipend. The travel stipend is ONLY for students for whom the field course is mandatory
- If the course is not mandatory for you please contact the study counsellor at your institution for information about financial support.
- Please contact the SLUSE coordinator